Whatever your reason, you deserve a big pat on the back just for doing it!
According to the latest National Health Survey, only 15% of Australian adults get enough exercise. This is especially true when it comes to resistance training! Out of 168 countries, we are ranked 97th for the percentage of population being sufficiently active. It’s scary considering physical inactivity is so highly associated with chronic health problems.
WHAT IS RESISTANCE TRAINING (AKA STRENGTH TRAINING OR WEIGHT TRAINING)?
Resistance training can be anything from body weighted strength to lifting very heavy weights. The person that hasn’t broken a sweat all session, and the person that is drenched in sweat at the end of the session – have both engaged in strength training. It looks completely different for everyone and that’s the beautiful thing about strength training! It can be adapted and individualised just for you and your body’s specific needs.
For those who maybe don’t know all the amazing benefits of strength training, I’ve made a nerdy little list below. Please feel free to share this with your friends and family members who maybe aren’t quite convinced on exercise, there’s something in here for everyone!
- Improves focus
2. Improves cognitive function
3. Decreases anxiety
4. Reduces depressive symptoms
5. Improves feelings of well-being
6. Increases self-esteem
7. Decreases risk of dementia
8. Reduces markers of inflammation (particularly in people who are overweight)
9. Decreases cholesterol
10. Decreases blood pressure
11. Improves insulin-swings for those with type 2 diabetes
12. Improves insulin-sensitivity
13. Boosts metabolic rate
14. Reverses ageing factors in mitochondria and muscles
15. Increases bone mineral density (and prevents bone loss)
16. Increases muscle mass
17. Improves movement control
18. Reduces chronic lower back pain
19. Decreases arthritic pain
20. Reduces pain from fibromyalgia
21. Improves balance
22. Increases walking speed
If you would like to start getting more out of your resistance training sessions, or if you’re wanting to start resistance training but you have some niggles that bother you, then get in touch. I can help to find the right exercises for you and help you to move safely!
Until then, safe travels