The beauty of these wide flat bands is their versatility. They pack and travel easily and you can ramp up the intensity with varying resistance levels. They can also help in a myriad of ways from increasing your strength, stabilsation and core, improve posture and rehabilitate niggly injuries, aches and pains.
Im using a medium strength resistance band in these videos, which covers all the exercises in the workout, but feel free to change it up with other bands, but ensure your form and technique are correct.
This mini band Full body workout is designed to be done as a circuit. Perform the number of repetitions listed next to each exercise.
- Beginners – 2 rounds
- Intermediate – 4 rounds
- Advanced – 5 rounds
- Glute Bridges – 12 reps
- Curl + Press + Reverse Lunge – 12 reps (6/leg)
- Hip hinge + Row – 12 reps (6/side)
- Squat with kickback – 12 reps (6/leg)
- Band Pulldown – 12 reps
All the sitting we do when traveling, is a a surefire way to weak glutes and lower back problems, so we are kicking off our circuit with this exercise to activate our butt!
- Place the band right above the knees and lie on your back.
- Bend your knees and put your feet flat on the ground just close enough so that you are able to graze your heels with your fingertips when you stretch your arms out.
- Press out on the band and drive through the heels to lift your butt off the ground. Drive your hips up, squeezing your butt.
- Don’t let the knees cave in.
CURL + PRESS + REVERSE LUNGE
This exercise gives you the most bang for your buck by targeting your butt, legs, arms and shoulders. When we combine multiple muscle groups into the one exercise it raises the heart rate (cardio), works the muscle (strength) and is also alot more functional, as we never use only one muscle group in isolation in everyday life.
- Begin with your feet shoulder width apart and the band around your wrist and held at tension.
- Curl your hands towards your shoulders.
- Step back into a reverse lunge, until your front knee is at 90 degrees (or as low as comfortable depth), and press both arms overhead, mainly tension on the band.
HIP HINGE + ROW
A powerful exercise that works the hamstrings, lower and upper back and core. Important for again strengthening the muscles that can cause lower back, hip and knee pain in a lot of travelers.
- Stand with feet hip width apart and the band around the foot.
- Hinge at the hip pushing your butt back and maintaining a flat back with weight in the heels.
- Brace the core to protect the lower back and ensure you breath through out the movement.
- Pull the band up so that elbow is at 90 degrees. Try to pause at the top of each reps.
- Complete the instructed reps and swap side to complete the other arm.
SQUAT WITH KICK BACK
A great exercise to work your lower back, butt, legs and core. This will really get your legs working. When performing the kickback pause at the top of the movement for a sec, then lower it back down, focus on squeezing you butt. If your lower back is activated too much try using a lighter band.
- Begin with your feet shoulder width apart and the band just above your ankles and held at tension.
- Slowly bend at the knees and drop your hips to lower you body, make sure your butt is back.
- Push back up into the standing position, keeping your leg straight and drive your heel back squeezing your glute and keep your core tight.
- Bring leg back into the starting position and complete another squat this time performing a kickback with the other leg.
A great exercise to target the back shoulders and core and improve your posture.
- Loop the band around back of your hands, wrists or even forearms.
- Extends arm overhead and place tension on the band by forming a ‘v’ with your arms, pressing your chest out and squeezing your glutes.
- Draw your shoulder blades back and down.
- Keeping the tension on the band and your arms about shoulder width apart, pull the band down towards your chest.
- Pause at the bottom of the movement then extend your arms back to the starting position.
Hope to see you out and about traveling this great country.